Last week I started and finished the 2021 novel The Wrong End of the Telescope by Lebanese-American writer Rabih Alameddine. Currently I’m still reading Lawrence Durrell’s Bitter Lemons of Cyprus: Life on a Mediterranean Island and Dzevad Karahasan’s Sarajevo, Exodus of a City. Like I mentioned last week all three of these books are for Rose City Reader’s European Reading Challenge.
Articles. With my nose buried in several books last week I managed to read just two articles. This week I’ll try harder and hopefully read more.
- CNN -“You have a doppelganger and probably share DNA with them, new study suggests” by Jen Christensen
- New York Magazine – “My Week With America’s Smartest* People” by Eve Peyser
Listening. Like I’ve said before, with so many things going on in the world there’s no shortage of material for my favorite podcasts.
- Fresh Air – “How The Ultrawealthy Avoid Taxes“, “The Growing Conflict Between China & The U.S.” and “Former GOP Operative On Enabling Trump’s Rise”
- Friendly Atheist – “A Texas-sized Loophole in a Christian Law”
- Vox: Today Explained – “RIP OAN”
- The Bulwark- “Tim Miller: Wait, Are You Getting Squishy?“
- Vox Conversations – “Steve Bannon is still at war”
- Deep State Radio – “The Destructionists: a conversation with Dana Milbank” and “Slava Ukraini!: Special Ukrainian Independence Day Edition of DSR”
- The Economist: Checks and Balance-“Extreme goes mainstream” and “Trump Towers“
- The Daily – “Who Killed Daria Dugina?” and “The Effort to Punish Women for Having Abortions”
- Talking Feds – “Fentanyl: The Nation’s Hidden Killer”
- The New Yorker: Politics and More – “What’s Driving Black Candidates to the Republican Party?”
- Post Reports – “What really happened as the U.S. left Afghanistan“, How a car bomb in Moscow became a flash point in Ukraine” and “How favoritism trumped science in Iran’s covid response”
- The Ezra Klein Show– “Why the Evangelical Movement Is in ‘Disarray’ After Dobbs”
- The Mindshift Podcast – “Recovering a Sense of Agency: Lifting the Veil of Mormon Mind Control (with Luna Corbden)”
- The Thinking Atheist – “We Dissent: Four Secular Women on the Front Lines”
- The World Next Week – “Macron’s Algeria Trip, Drought in China, Anniversary of Afghanistan Withdrawal, and More” and “TWNW Special: What to Read and Listen to This Summer”
Watching. Right now I’m watching just one TV show and it’s Mr. Robot. Like I’ve said before it just gets crazier and crazier thanks to insane plot twists, great writing and superb acting. It’s been one hell of a wild ride. Unfortunately for me, I have only two episodes left to watch.
Everything else. Friday, instead of indulging in my weekly ritual of fine wine and conversation at my favorite local winery I drove up to Portland. After a quick trip to Powell’s Books I proceeded to my friends’ place for an evening of beers, fun and frivolity. Our wonderful hosts fired up the grill and put on the soccer game. After watching the home team come from behind to beat our hated rivals the Seattle Sounders a few of us stayed up past our bedtimes conversing on the porch. Saturday on my way home I hit a massive church yard sale and walked away with small stack of books, almost all of which were free. Among the treasures are Pulitzer-Prize winners American Prometheus: The Triumph and Tragedy of J. Robert Oppenheimer by Kai Bird and Martin J. Sherwin and Middlesex by Jeffrey Eugenides.