Three weeks ago marked my return to The Sunday Salon after a year-long hiatus. It felt good getting back in the swing of things so here’s another post. Hosted by Deb Nance at Readerbuzz this weekly tradition is a great way to check in on other book bloggers and get a glimpse of their lives.
Once again I’m trying to read four books at the same time. The first one is for a book club, the second for Rose City Reader’s European Reading Challenge, third is part of an ongoing research project and the fourth is well, because I can.
- Debt: The First 5,000 Years,Updated and Expanded by David Graeber (2014) – This book is detailed and meaty as hell. Tons of fascinating information even if the author is long-winded.
- Tears Over Russia: A Search for Family and the Legacy of Ukraine’s Pogroms by Lisa Brahin (2022 – A book to represent Ukraine for Rose City Reader’s European Reading Challenge and as well as history for Book’d Out’s Nonfiction Reader Challenge
- Over the Top: Alternate Histories of the First World War ed. by Peter Tsouras and Spencer Jones (2014) – More “what ifs” pertaining to the First World War.
- Bag Man: The Wild Crimes, Audacious Cover-up, and Spectacular Downfall of a Brazen Crook in the White House by Rachel Madow and Michael Yarvitz (2020) – As soon as I finish this book I’m going to give podcast a try. Can’t wait!
Summer Reading Challenges. You might have noticed in my earlier posts I’ll be taking part in both the 20 Books of Summer and Big Book Summer reading challenges. Even though I’ll probably fail miserably I can’t wait to start reading!
Listening. As always I’m up to my eyeballs in podcasts. Here’s what I listened to last week.
- The Fresh Air Podcast – “The Hollywood Writers Strike & The Future Of TV”
- Foreign Office with Michael Weiss – “A Comprehensive Look at Wagner and Prigozhin”
- Lectures in History – “Rise of Industry in the Gilded Age”
- The Daily – “Millions of Dollars, Thousands of Robocalls and 1 Legal Loophole”, “The Supreme Court vs. Andy Warhol” and “Is Trump’s Nomination Now Inevitable?”
- Straight White American Jesus – “Weekly Roundup: Moms for Book Bans, Dads for Dictators” and “Prophecy and Political Violence – From the Seven Mountains to J6”
- It Could Happen Here – “Right Wing Conspiracies and the Allen,Texas Shooting”
- Cold War Conversations – “From Soviet Latvia to the BBC Russian Service”
- The Bulwark – “David Frum: Losing the Dominance Primary” and “Philip Bump: Running Against Reality”
- Friendly Atheist Podcast – “Loudspeaker Prayers at Florida Football Games”
- Rick Wilson’s The Enemies List – “The World Where Reality Doesn’t Matter” (with Molly Jong-Fast)
- MindShift Podcast – “Surrender to Reason: An Ex-Pastor’s Journey of Deconversion (with Gary Hudson)”
- The Thinking Atheist – “What the Hell is Wrong with Texas?”
Watching. Peaky Blinders has been off the charts good and I can’t get enough. Still kicking myself for not discovering it sooner. Last weekend we continued watching 90s space opera Babylon 5.
Everything else. We’re still experiencing warm, summer-like weather. I’m still spending my mornings and evenings on the cabin porch reading. And yes I’m still joined by a large black cat.