After putting aside both Stuart Jeffries’s Grand Hotel Abyss: The Lives of the Frankfurt School and Frank Blaichman’s Rather Die Fighting I started Adam Hochschild’s 2016 Spain in Our Hearts: Americans in the Spanish Civil War, 1936–1939. So far it’s been very good.
Listening. At least for one day last week the January 6 Hearings were back at it again. In addition to the many other ongoing political developments this has provided no shortage of material for my favorite podcasts.
- Fresh Air – “Hungarian Autocracy and The American Right“, “The Violent Legacy Of The British Empire“, “Unpacking The Supreme Court’s Recent Decisions“, “A Pediatric Neurosurgeon Shares Stories From The O.R“
- Friendly Atheist – “Condemning Bigotry Isn’t Christian Persecution”
- Fever Dreams – “The Floor Is LAVA”
- The Bulwark- “Bart Gellman: What the Hell Happened to Michael Flynn?“, “Bill Kristol: This Is Why We Were Never-Trump“, Mark Leibovich: The Parasitic Suck-Ups of the Trump Era“, “David Frum: Boris Johnson Is More Bill Clinton, Less Donald Trump”
- Inside the Hive by Vanity Fair – “Civil War Is “On the Table.” Vanity Fair’s Jeff Sharlet on the Martyrdom of Ashli Babbitt and What’s to Come”
- MindShift – “The Storm is Upon Us: Inside the QAnon Conspiracy Theory Cult (with Mike Rothschild)“
Everything else. Met my professor buddies for wine yesterday at an area winery. The weather has been nice so I’ve been reading on my porch. All good things.