Earlier this morning I finished Lea Ypi 2022 memoir Free: Coming of Age at the End of History. Hopefully, within the next few days I’ll get my review up and posted for that as well as Karlheinz Deschner’s God and the Fascists: The Vatican Alliance with Mussolini, Franco, Hitler, and Pavelic. I’ll be applying both books towards Rose City Reader’s European Reading Challenge.
I also made major progress with Stuart Jeffries’s Grand Hotel Abyss: The Lives of the Frankfurt School. I put Frank Blaichman’s Rather Die Fighting on hold but I hope to finish it in the next few days.
Listening. With the The National Commission to Investigate the January 6 Attack on the United States Capitol Complex proceedings (AKA the January 6 Commission) on hiatus until Tuesday I didn’t do my usual deep dive related podcasts. However, that didn’t deter me from indulging in some of my favorites.
- Fresh Air – “Unpacking The Supreme Court’s Recent Decisions”
- Friendly Atheist – “Roe-verturned” and “Biblical Literalism is Dying Off”
- Fever Dreams – “Multiverse Vibe Shift with Baynard Woods”
- Cold War Conversations -“Cold War Number Stations” and “The 1989 World Festival of Youth and Students in Pyongyang, North Korea”
- Deep State Radio – “Next Steps in Making the Case Against Donald Trump” and “Ain’t No Cure for the Summertime Blues”
- Spy Talk – “Of Spies and Dirty Wars”
Watching. Mr. Robot continues to entertain with its plot twists, great writing and superb acting. I also caught an episode of Stranger Things. I haven’t seen a movie in a month or two but last Sunday night I took in the thoroughly entertaining film Everything Everywhere All at Once. (Since any description I’d cobble together could never adequately explain this movie I suggest you just watch it.)
Everything else. Monday was Independence Day and one of our neighbors hosted a terrific BBQ for the community at his event venue down the road. Even though gas is damn expensive right now yesterday I made a trip to my favorite adult watering hole for a beer.