A few days ago Bonnie at Bonnie’s Book’s nominated me for the Beautiful Blogger Award. To be considered by her for such an award is a true honor, since she’s been blogging about great books for a long time and along with that has been reading tons of book blogs. I’ve been reading her blog for what seems like ages. According to her, I’m responsible for more than a few books winding up on her to be read list (TBR). I’d like to think the same way about her.
Rules for the Beautiful Blogger Award.
- Link to the blogger who has nominated you.
- List seven random facts about you.
- Nominate seven creative, beautiful bloggers, and let them know about about the nomination.
Seven random facts about me.
- February 2016 will go down as a month of milestones. Not only did I celebrate my sixth anniversary as a WordPress blogger, but also posted my 500th post. In addition, just this morning I gained my 200th subscriber.
- Last year I came close to retiring my blog. Believe it or not, I almost stopped blogging. However, after hearing some kind words of encouragement I decided to keep blogging.
- I live in and work in Portland, Oregon USA. The city is peppered with renown restaurants, great beer, wonderful coffee shops (especially my neighborhood one) and of course, Powell’s Books. On top of that, I’m probably one of only a few people who live across the street from one college, and work next door to another.
- Each weekday morning I get up super early and read two hours before work. Without a doubt it’s the best way to both beat the morning traffic and get focused for the day. (I also ride the bus to work. This allows me even more time to read.)
- Time for me to come out of the closet – as a Kindle reader! Several years ago I received a Kindle as a birthday present and it just sat on my desk ignored. Only last spring did I start using it and when I did, I quickly fell in love with it. Last summer I upgraded to the Paperwhite edition and couldn’t be happier.
- After seeing so many books about religion, atheism and religious history featured on my blog, some of you might be wondering about my own religious affiliation. Currently, I’m a proud member of the Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster. But to say we have a “church” or even “members” is stretching things a bit. We mostly just get together twice a month to drink beer and tell bad jokes!
- For my first couple of years blogging, I went out of my way to hide details about my identity like my name, age, gender and employment. I figured if I cultivated an air of mystery it would make things cooler. For the sake of this award, I’ll just let you know unlike most book bloggers, I’m a male over the age of 50. (This makes me an old white male, but at least I’m not a dead one!) And Bonnie is right, Maphead is just a nickname. My real name is Mark.
My seven nominations
- Gilion at Rose City Reader
- Kim at Sophisticated Dorkines
- Stu at Winstonsdad’s Blog
- Jen at The Introverted Reader
- Claire at The Captive Reader
- Jean at Howling Frog Books
- Jo at JoV’s Book Pyramid (Even though she’s not actively blogging, she recently encouraged me to not retire my blog but keep blogging. If that’s not a beautiful blogger then what is?)
There you have it!