Yes I know this is mid-Feb. 2009, but here at last is the list of my top ten favorite books I read in 2008. It was not easy to narrow the field down to ten, but here we go:
- The New Asian Hemisphere:The Irresistible Shift of Global Power to the East by Kishore Mahbubani
- The World Without Us by Alan Weisman
- Born to Kvetch: Yiddish Language and Culture in All of its Moods by Michael Wex
- Survival of the Sickest: A Medical Maverick Discovers Why We Need Disease by Sharon Moalem
- The Siege of Mecca: The Forgotten Uprising In Islam's Holiest Shrine and the Birth of al-Qaeda by Yaroslav Trofimov
- Unauthorized Version: Truth and Fiction in the Bible by Robin Lane Fox
- The God Delusion by Richard Dawkins
- From Jesus to Christianity: How Four Generations of Visionaries and Storytellers Created the New Testament and Christian Faith by L. Michael White
- The Birth of Satan: Tracing the Devil's Biblical Roots by T.J Wray
- Wars of Blood and Faith: The Conflicts That Will Shape the 21st Century by Ralph Peters.
And if you are wondering, which was my favorite-it was a tie. The World Without Us and Siege of Mecca were the best.